Most people don’t associate Easter with vacation travel. Many schools, however, close around Easter. Unfortunately, the climate can be unpredictable in much of the United States, which is part of the reason why we don’t think of this holiday as an opportunity to travel. But if you are thinking of changing things up and going on vacation this year, here are 5 incredible Easter destinations to consider.
1. Rome, Italy – If you want to see the greatest Easter celebration in person, there is no better place to head than Rome. The entire city comes alive in the days before Easter, preparing for Holy Saturday and the Easter Vigil inside St. Peter’s Basilica (make sure to get tickets if you plan to attend – they are free and go fast). Then, much of the city is shut down for Easter Sunday and Monday, as there are festivals and celebrations throughout the city.
2. Washington DC – If you want to stay in the United States and enjoy Easter as part of the vacation, Washington DC is a great option. On the Monday after Easter, the Easter Egg Roll at the White House happens. Thousands of people gather to watch the President partake in the festivities which include an Easter egg hunt, an egg rolling race, and a chance to see the Easter Bunny. Then, after the event, you are in Washington DC, where there is no shortage of things to do.
3. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – This is both a vacation and a celebration of Easter. Rio comes alive for Easter, with street fairs, festivals, and parades you can attend. But after the holiday, you are in Brazil during one of the best times of year. The climate is near perfect, and the beaches are less crowded than the more popular times of year. If you’ve ever thought of traveling to Brazil, this might be the best time to go.
4. New York City, NY – If Washington DC isn’t an option, but you want to stay in the United States, New York City might be an option for you. You can attend mass at the world famous St. Patrick’s Cathedral, then join the festivities of the Easter Bonnet Parade. The parade runs from 49th Street to 57th Street and lasts from 10 AM to 4 PM. All along the parade route, there are fun things to do and see, and since the parade is not a formal affair, anyone can join. Then after Easter Sunday, you can spend the rest of the vacation in the city that never sleeps, where there are countless sights to see and activities to do.
5. Honolulu, HI – No list of travel is complete without Hawaii. There is no bad time of year to head to Hawaii, however Easter sits in a time when the weather is about perfect. You also see some of the best prices on airfare and accommodations, as April is not a peak month for Hawaii travel. If major Easter celebrations aren’t important for your trip, then it might be time to see why Hawaii is routinely ranked as the best vacation destination in America.
When it comes to vacation, there are no bad destinations. However, if you are traveling and would like to partake in an Easter celebration, check out the options above and you will not be disappointed.